
When we crossed paths on a walk on Sunday, our next-door neighbor Andrea told me that a mountain lion was sighted (eating an outdoor cat) in our subdivision on Dragonlfly Lane, a couple of streets away from us and where the boys like to ogle and pet the neighbors' outdoor horse, Buster. Another friend who lives across the more busy central road off which we turn to our house said that the lion was spotted in her neighbor's back yard on Monday morning eating a small dog (a papillon, which is probably about the same size as our dog, Pepper). Googling "what to do if you come across a mountain lion" was not something I thought I'd ever find myself having to do, but there I was earlier this week. Ah, rural, forest living!
(Visiting Buster, pre-lion sighting!)
I have been FREAKED OUT about this ever since I learned about this carnivorous animal being so close. While mountain lion sightings and attacks are very rare, especially during daytime hours, we have heard about these animals being sighted in different parks in McKinleyville and even near the forests of Arcata in the past few months and years; however, I have never felt the imminent threat of one being so close to our family or kids. I am confident to say that seeing a 150-200-lb animal outside near my house is not something I ever want to do.
We've been told that the Fish & Wildlife service have been summoned to try to track/trap the animal and possibly relocate it somewhere farther way so it's less threatening. We will never be gun owners, and I am vehemently opposed to shooting of animals, particularly wild ones whose land we have encroached on and thus happen to cohabit, and am worried that some crazed, trigger-happy alarmist with a gun is going to take matters into his own hands. Nevertheless, I'm really nervous to just let Pepper out back to pee at night, or even let my kids roam in the front of our house, until we have more information (most attacks are on children). I walk our dog midday completely hypervigilant and anxious, my eyes scanning all around and jumping at the slightest noise. This is what terrorism feels like up close.
Anyway, I learned that if you encounter a mountain lion, rather than playing dead, turning, bending, or running away (which promotes their instinct to chase), you should make a lot of noise, appear menacing, pick up your children, and maintain eye contact..
Until I hear more, we're (well, Kelvin is) doing the bulk of dog-walking, childless and with the utmost vigilance, carrying a whistle and a baseball bat, and trying not to be too close to copses of trees or heavy greenery.




No comments:
Post a Comment