Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Pro-woman, period.



I am a woman.
I am a mother.
I am a physician whose job it is to care for for pregnant women and babies and provide contraception.

I am thankful to have never been in the position to have an unplanned or unwanted pregnancy.
I know and have treated many people (including those already mothers) who have had one, and who have chose to end it, for circumstances that are between them, their partner, and their doctors.
I have known and cared for women who terminated their very wanted pregnancies for the sake of babies that had conditions incompatible with life.
I have also been there as mothers have birthed full-term babies with lethal anomalies, including one known to have anencephaly (without a brain), who lived just hours, and found it heartbreaking.
I have treated and cared for women who suffered preterm, pre-viable membrane rupture or other pregnancy complications and chose to induce labor, knowing that their fetus would not survive outside the womb.
I have held the hands of courageous women who birthed peri-viable babies and chose to resuscitate them, not knowing what the future held for that child, but having faith they made the best decision for their family. I have also stood by those who made the decision not to resuscitate and chose comfort care.
I support all of those women and their choices.

Pregnancy and childbirth are risky (legal abortion is about 14 times safer than childbirth), and no one should be forced to be a mother, which is the hardest of all jobs, and can be devastating for marriages and families, careers, mental health, life, and has implications for our deteriorating environment.
(The overwhelming majority, i.e. more than 95% of women in the three years post-procedure, do not regret their abortion, although the decision may be hard for many).
I have cared for women who have died or nearly died due to pregnancy or childbirth (one a mom of a toddler who was a surrogate for an adoptive couple), as well as known and treated women who lost their very desired full-term babies during labor.

I have known and cared for exceptional women who have made the heartbreaking choice of giving away a baby who moved inside them even after they held them for the first time.
I support adoption and counsel women about the option.
I have also known infertile couples whose hopes for adoption fell through because to ask a woman to give up a baby she carried to term is unbelievably hard, and she ultimately couldn't go through with that choice. This choice hurts many hearts but it is her body and her choice.
I have cared for and treated women who continued pregnancies conceived after sexual assault and who loved those babies even though they didn't love themselves.
I have attended births of young women as young as fourteen, as well as those of other women that made the choice to become young, single parents-- because their partners wanted nothing to do with the pregnancy or baby but it was ultimately her choice.
I have cared for women who have conceived on reliable use of long-acting contraception (including IUDs and after "permanent" methods like tubal ligation or partner vasectomy) after taking every precaution, and thankfully had legal options.
I have treated and cared for abused and neglected children whose mothers (and fathers) were struggling to provide for them, and also those who failed to thrive in the foster care system.
I have not always agreed with the choices women have made for themselves and babies due to medical conditions in pregnancy, including their mode or location of delivery, and their refusal to consent to certain evidence-based medical interventions that would keep them healthy.
However, I support all of these women. Her body, her baby, her choice.

Men cause 100% of unplanned pregnancies.
Republican (white) men (and a few complicit women) are passing heartbreaking "heartbeat" bills in states cross this nation intending to criminalize abortion for women and their doctors, while about 70% of Americans support national access to legal abortion as decided decades ago by Roe vs. Wade.

These same right-wing extremists also refuse to find ways to make contraception more accessible and affordable, and refuse to help support children, women, and families to afford early childhood services (like health care, lactation support and nutrition, parental leave, affordable childcare, and public education). They refuse to regulate guns so that we might prevent mass-murders of schoolchildren. They are anti-choice and pro-forced-birth, but mostly certainly not pro-life and not pro-women.





I am most definitely not apathetic.
I am sick and totally enraged.
Elections (especially state and local elections in red states) obviously have (life-altering) consequences.
I vote like my life and my patients' lives depend on it and I will continue to donate to women's rights organizations (here are some good resources if you want to support women and their choices, particularly in places the deep south where women are being silenced and their human and civil rights grotesquely violated: National Network of Abortion Funds, Yellowhammer Fund in Alabama, Planned Parenthood, ACLU) so that this country doesn't regress to the ages of back-alley abortions and life of the Handmaid's Tale. 

I will continue to treat and care for women with compassion and without judgment, supporting their choices and autonomy (I also highly recommend Willie Parker's book "Life's Work: A Moral Argument for Choice," by Christian reproductive justice advocate and abortion provider in the South), as is required by my profession (and my faith).
Listen to women. Elect women. Choose women. Trust women.
Support science. Speak truth. Pray. Care. Try not to despair.
I have always been and will always be pro-choice.
I am pro-woman.

No comments: