Saturday, February 23, 2019

KonMari-ing my life

I have always been a pretty organized person (even as a child, when I loved cleaning and playing "Cinderella."). I love a neat room and house (and now, with very little free time, love even more if someone cleans it for me!). Like it does for many people, clutter makes me feel crowded and stressed. Having two busy, young children has made me have to relax a bit with regards to the state of my living room. However, I am a big fan of spring cleaning and get a lot of satisfaction from periodic de-cluttering closets, countertops, and drawers.

I read Marie Kondo's Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up a few years ago (and enjoyed watching her recent Netflix series). While I don't really feel that it's all that practical with the time I currently have to find/gather every single item (of a category) and place them in a pile in order to start the de-cluttering process, her KonMari method intuitively makes a lot of sense.

I definitely feel that we have so much that it seems very easy and very fair to whittle down your supply of items, especially if they do not "spark joy."  I've definitely been more on an anti-consumerist kick lately and vow not to only reduce what we have, but to buy less.  I've been very much on Kelvin's case to resist any temptation to hoard (or get rid of something for every new item purchased), and am trying to donate baby toys and clothes the minute Niall outgrows them.  I've also let go of my guilt of exchanging gifts for something I'll actually use/wear. The biggest reason to get rid of extra stuff, in my opinion, is so that you can actually easily and quickly find items you need/are looking for. I particularly hate when I can't find something because of clutter and may have to purchase its duplicate, which seems so incredibly wasteful.


I recently decided to KonMari my dresser drawers. It was extremely easy (and I located shirts I forgot I even had!) and makes it so much easier to find and decide on something to wear!


I have several oldies-but-goodies tees



I seriously already feel lighter, and that my mood is better, by having less and enjoying more what possessions I did decide to keep! I highly recommend that you KonMari your life-- you won't regret it!

No comments: