Sunday, May 27, 2007

Congrats, Erin and TJ!

What a fun weekend!

I am writing this from the Sofitel Water Tower hotel in downtown Chicago, which is as beautiful and ritzy a hotel as they come. I'm splitting a room with Arlyn, one of Erin's friends from her study abroad time in Australia, since we thought it would be easier to stay in the same place as the bridal party, etc., especially since we were making a weekend out of this. It's definitely beautiful, as has been the whole weekend. And there's obviously a computer I could use! :)


Yesterday, I flew to Chicago from Rochester on a ridiculously early flight (6:10 a.m.-- Les and David dropped me off at the airport by 5:45---what awesome friends they are and what a beautiful thing it is to fly out of such a small, close airport for a change!). I took the blue line "El" downtown from the O'Hare airport and, after only one mishap (I had to walk a couple of blocks in the subway to get to the next red line connection because the one at the Washington St. stop was closed), I made it safely to the hotel. After 9 (a respectable hour :)), I called Eric (a grad student at the University of Chicago that I met while he was in Rochester) and we met up by the Hancock building. Although it was a bit of a gross day, drizzly and cold, we wandered around and found ourselves at Bistro Zinc for a lovely Parisian brunch. We also wandered the shores of Lake Michigan before he had to go back and study a bit.

I wandered a bit on my own, to the Water Tower Place and shopping areas (I was lured into an interesting shop which sells all kinds of all-natural products, including SOLID shampoos and things [take that, TSA!]), but didn't buy anything and soon found myself chilling at the big Borders :)

I napped a bit, as I was exhausted from having awoken around 4:30, and then got ready for the big night! The wedding ceremony was on the 66th floor of the Sears Tower (which, incidentally in the five times I've visited Chicago [yes I had to count], I had not been to). Had it not been so gray, we would have had spectacular views, but they were still nice. The music was lovely, and the small ceremony was about as quick as they come-- cocktails started at 6:30! :) Erin looked gorgeous in her "hot" dress which was very flattering. I also saw her in makeup, which was definitely a first! She denies that she had anything artificial ("I've just been laying out!") but she definitely looked really tan.... I still couldn't believe Erin, the great commitment-phobe, was getting married! And, it being almost a year since I was at Laura and Tony's wedding, I remember how much I love weddings! I think I could be a professional wedding-attender-- they are just so lovely! It was especially wonderful because TJ's mom, who has been really sick lately with some respiratory problems and in and out of the hospital, was able to be there to celebrate.

At the reception, we had wonderful food (steak or salmon), wine and amaretto sours galore, great chocolate cake, and great toasts from the bridesmaids (Erin's longtime friends Liz [maid of honor], Stephanie, Rachel, and TJ's sister Whitney) as well as her Dad and the groomsmen (all of whom I don't know all by name, I'm sorry to say!). The reception was humorous and wonderful. It was very intimate-- I think there were about 100 people total--and elegant. There was dancing (ask Erin how her first dance went :)) and we partied till after midnight! Very fun.

Picture of a picture (they had a slideshow playing)... here's the bride with (from left) Whitney, Liz, Stephanie, and Rachel

Introducing the Augustines!!!!!!!

Erin was so cute with the placecards :)

Father-daughter dance

That's the photographer's hand behind us in case you were wondering :)

TJ joined the band and jammed some jazz on his alto sax, which was wonderful! I had no idea he was so talented :)The happy couple again Tia and Rob, jammin' I think Mrs. Kostas will be mad I posted this one:)
A "nice" photo of the couple :)
The Mayo representation!

Today, a bunch of us went to a White Sox game in the afternoon and, although they lost 5-11 to the Devil Rays, it was a great time to hang out with some of the other "young" folks :). It was nice to spend some time with the bride and groom before everyone goes their separate ways. Erin and TJ leave for their honeymoon in Hawaii on Thursday.

Arlyn, Erin, and TJ at the Sox game

Chicago skyline


Well-- we go in a bit out for deep-dish pizza at Giordanos, so I better head off. Tomorrow, I fly back into Roch, pack the UHaul, and head to California!!!! Guess who will be my closest (in distance) friends to Sacramento.... Erin and TJ, at Stanford! :)

2 comments:

  1. Yay! Congrats to Erin and TJ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Erin is HOT!! Love the dress and hair...HOT HOT HOT!!!!

    ReplyDelete